1. Half of the lights on the Christmas tree are burnt out – Name a book/series/character that started out well and then went downhill.
The Saga series has taken the world by storm since it came out. I jumped on the bandwagon, and after about 3 volumes I wanted to dive out headfirst. For some reason every time I see a copy I can borrow I do… It does start out strong and has a strong focus on family and parenthood, but it has a formula. It has a very noticeable formula and while it does tackle some tough topics, it also does a ton of shock value things that don’t add anything and are just there for the lols.
2. Annoying relatives won’t leave you alone – Name a book that you did not enjoy but everyone else seems to love, and it will not stop haunting you.
I could also put Saga here, but in the favor of variety we’ll go with the other book that everyone raves about that basically makes me wonder what exactly I missed when I read this. I read about 2/3rds of All the Birds in the Sky in 2017 and hated it, I re-read that portion and finished it…still hated it. The writing is incredibly simple and the characters are basically cardboard cutouts with adjectives pasted on them. And yet, I’m in the minority on this. WHAT AM I MISSING?!
3. Your pets keep knocking over your Christmas decorations – Name a character that kept on messing everything up for everyone.
Curse Words features Wizord and Margaret (the Koala on the cover), and boy do they screw up big time in this one. Wizord is incredibly powerful and he’s trying to be a good person by using his magic for the people…but he makes some terrible choices, grants some wishes he definitely shouldn’t, and only realizes it about half of the time.
4. You hear your parents putting presents out and learn that Father Christmas is not real – Name a book you were spoiled for.
I have two of this one! The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin, which I found out a spoiler because I was looking up something I was hoping to get some in-depth info on and ended up seeing a spoiler. So kind of my fault there. The second is Contact by Carl Sagan…my boyfriend partially spoiled the actual contact portion and a book on astronomy spoiled another smaller section of this as well. So nothing major was spoiled with these two thankfully.
5. It’s freezing outside – Name a character you just couldn’t warm to.
So the characters in Battlefront: Twilight Company were so unremarkable that I don’t remember any of their names and I’m too indifferent to go get my copy to see. Many of the characters come and go, and at no point was I given reason to like or care about any of them. I get that this is about the harsh reality of war, but it was honestly so bland that I barely remember what the characters endured.
6. Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’ is being played a lot on the radio, giving you anti-romantic feelings – Name a couple that you just could not stand.
I’m in the minority here, but Leia and Han Solo is one of my most hated relationships ever. I adore Leia, she was a hero of mine as a kid. I wanted to be a badass princess who shot guns and ended empires. I, however, did not want to end up with a smuggler, with so much confidence he probably smirks at his toilet when he’s done using it. I never saw him as cool or daring, I saw him as someone who needed to be punched in the face by his surroundings to accept anything. Granted Bloodline does a really good job of showing the tenderness in their relationship, and while Han isn’t a total trash heap in this I still hate it.
7. The scratchy homemade jumper that you got for Christmas years ago but have never worn – A book that has been sitting on your shelf for years that you are not motivated to read, but do not have the heart to get rid of.
I have had Prince Lestat since it released, and I just can’t get myself to start it. I read the first page shortly after buying it and the voice of Lestat was so odd that I couldn’t get into it. I adore The Vampire Chronicles, but I’m so afraid that this one is just going to be such a mess.
8. Grandma has gotten run over by a reindeer – Name a character death that you are still mad about.
So this is an obvious choice here but Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I won’t mention which death(s) piss me off, because I want this to remain spoiler free, but I will say a few of these disappointed me to no end. I wanted a few of them to have the happy endings they desperately needed and others to see what life with a sense of closure on painful parts of their pasts. Did we get that? NO. J.K. Rowling basically decided to kill our innocence and collect our tears as trophies. I do get why she killed the ones she did, but it doesn’t make it hurt less.
9. Shops are overcrowded with shoppers for the holidays – Name a series with too many books, or that went on too long.
I wanted to pick a series I’ve finished or nearly finished for this one, so many of the good choices went out the window because I’m garbage at finishing series. But the one that stands out above the rest is the Sookie Stackhouse series. You can actually tell the moment when Harris wanted to stop writing these books, but kept going. Plot devices were thrown in and then hastily written out, characters did 180s for weird reasons. It was kind of a mess.
10. The Grinch – Name a main character that you absolutely hate (not a villain).
Kaaro from Rosewater is highly unlikable, which I think is the point, and being in his head made Rosewater a bit of struggle for me. I still blazed through it in a day mind you, but definitely not because of Kaaro. I’d had probably finished it sooner if he hadn’t been in it at all.