Review: Twisted Bond by Emma Hart

TwistedBondSource: Purchased 
Publisher: –
Series: Holly Woods Files #1
Edition: eBook, 297 Pages
Romantic Suspense/Mystery
Purchase: Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository
Rating: 3/5

I’m an Italian-Texan woman in a family full of cops. I’m passionate and shoot before I think. You only f*ck with me if you’re stupid.

Photograph cheating spouses. Hand over the evidence. Cash my check.
That was my plan when I returned home to Holly Woods, Texas, and became a private investigator.
Finding the dead body in my dumpster? Yeah… Given the choice, I think I would have opted out of that little discovery, especially since all three of my brothers are cops. And my Italian grandmother is sure the reason I’m single is because of my job.
Of course, my connection to the victim is entirely coincidental. Until I’m hired by her husband to investigate her murder and shoved bang-smack into the path of Detective Drake Nash. My nemesis, a persistent pain in my ass, and one hell of a sexy son of a bitch.
Shame he still holds a grudge from that time I shot him in the foot twelve years ago, or we could have something. In another life.
So now all I have to do is avoid my nonna’s blind dates, try not to blackmail my brothers into giving me confidential police files, and absolutely do not point my gun at Drake Nash. Or kiss him. Or jump his bones.
All while I hunt down the killer.
Sounds totally simple—until a second body proves that sometimes things that start as coincidences don’t always end up that way…

Twisted Bond is both what I was wanting in a book and also kind of what I wanted to avoid while going through my reading slump. It’s quickly paced with a pretty interesting mystery angle and a touch of steam…but the romance got rather annoying after a bit.

Noelle is a woman true to the summary and takes being ‘passionate’ seriously…but that passion sometimes borders on outright aggression. I did like her quick wit about 60% of the time because I enjoyed seeing others scramble to keep up with the quick insults, but the other 40% of the time I spent growing increasingly impatient with Noelle’s seemingly needless goading. Also I don’t see how “I shoot before I think” is a good thing…you know, since bullets tend to have a way of hurting/killing people but you know..anything to sound like a badass I guess. Her relationship with Drake follows the lead as the rest of the character driven moments, flipping between yummy and ‘why are you still fighting?’. These two are completely at odds with each other mentally, but physically the sexual tension is pretty damn thick. But I can’t say I really cared if they go together, I just desperately wanted them to make a decision before their constant bickering drove me insane.

The real treat in this book, and the reason it’s at a 3 star rating instead of lower, is the mystery/suspense angle. I dig mysteries, and this one was quite fun (I don’t know if fun is a good way to describe a murder mystery, but there you have it). The pacing of this runs about the same as most cozy mysteries, and quickly moves in towards the conclusion while zig-zagging in an attempt at misdirection and for the most part it does it successfully.

While I don’t particularly ‘like’ the characters, I did really like the mystery and I would considering continuing the series just for that portion.

3 star

This entry was posted in Book Reviews (2016) and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed it, leave a comment and tell me what you think.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.