Top Ten Tuesday: Reading Wishlist

toptentuesday

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

So these are the things I wish to see or read about in books! If you know of any books with the topics, plots or character types please let me know so I can add them to my tbr! So listen up authors! Maybe you’ll get some cool ideas for your next writing project, I know of few of these are bouncing around in my head for future NaNos.

1. Anxiety – More and more YA books are delving into health issues and I would like to see one that deals with anxiety. It can be any of the six anxiety disorders but I would like to read some focused on generalized, social or OCD.
  2. Japanese Mythology and Folklore – I know there are some out there but I would like more YA or maybe even Urban Fantasy, since they tend to be more accessible and easier to get into. It would be awesome to see more books out there with accurate social practices, histories or mythologies.
  3. Criminal Mastermind – So I know there are some serial killer books out there like I Hunt Killers and Dexter, but I want to see a book about a villain. Not just any plain old villain, I’m talking about a super villain. The kind of guys who would fit in well with the Joker and I want them as the main character or at least very involved in the plot.
  4. Great Depression Bank Robber – This one is a bit odd, but the bank robbers of this era were basically celebrities. People like John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson, and Bonnie and Clyde became household names and triggered huge manhunts. If done right this could make some really fun, thrilling and heartbreaking stories.
  5. MMO Addiction – Honestly I have no idea why this one popped into my head, but it seems like it could be really interesting to read about. MMO addiction is actually a real thing and it can actually go from laughable to incredibly serious quickly. People land themselves in bankruptcy, forget to eat or move and develop health issues. It would be interesting to see a contemporary YA/NA book that deals with the addiction and the balance of online/offline lives.
  6. LARPing/RPing – I’m letting my geek show in this list apparently. I want to see some all out geeky characters that participate in RP or LARPing, it can be a side thing or it can be the center of the story.
  7. Pirates – I’m surprised that this hasn’t been a ‘thing’ yet…seriously…where are all the NA/YA pirate stories? We all know the pirate life was rough, I’d be okay with space pirating….as long as there are ship battles, stealing, and a feeling of freedom. Scurvy is optional.
  8. Statues Coming to Life – This more like a scene wish…but I really want to see someone make statues come to life. It could be for fighting or some crazy magical scheme, but it just seems really cool.
  9. Bounty Hunter – I don’t mean modern day bounty hunters, I want something crazy and out there. It could be a fantasy world bounty hunter where they hunt down viscous creatures or it could be set in a sci-fi world where aliens are plentiful. Just don’t make it too Star Wars-y…you might get sued.
  10. Alien/Human relationships – So you’re either going “That’s weird!” or “That’s been done” so hold on a second and let me explain. I want something fresh so no human looking aliens or aliens that conveniently can change into a human, I want them to look alien. They can still be humanoid of course (2 arms, 2 legs, similar body structures) but they better have something crazy looking like scales or four eyes. As for the relationship part it can be close friendships or romantic. I think it would be cool to explore how a friendship would develop between two people who have entirely different upbringing, physiology, and cultures. As far as the romance, well as long as it doesn’t cross the line into weirdness, I think it could be done. If you’re a gamer, think of Mass Effect and how many people are in love with Tali and Garrus, who are not human, and how it’s not a big deal. If you haven’t played those games, skip the first one and go play! When you meet your romance options come back and tell me if they’re human (I’m willing to bet most of them won’t be).
This entry was posted in General and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Top Ten Tuesday: Reading Wishlist

1. Ooh, I’d love to see more books with bounty hunters or that feature characters that deal with anxiety! As for RPing, have you read The Summer I Became a Nerd? It was really fun and had a big LARPing/RPing scene in it! 🙂 My TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.com/2014/01/20/wishlist/

Alice @ Alice in Readerland

2. ChrissiReads says:

Great choices! 🙂 I’d love to see more books focused on anxiety!

3. chanzies says:

I love #7 & #9! Great list 🙂 Here is my Top Ten Tuesday list if you want to check it out!

Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

4. frodosco says:

It looks like we both are craving some good mythology books! Also, if we can get more videogame books (such as 5 & 6), at the quality of immersion that Ready Player One provides I will be a very happy reader. Oh, and I’d recommend checking out Jaleta Clegg’s Fall of the Altairan Empire series which has a couple of the elements you mentioned https://www.goodreads.com/series/88450-the-fall-of-the-altairan-empire. Love your list! ^.^

5. I would pick up a book with a human/alien relationship in it. And pirates for sure! 🙂

6. booksofamber says:

1. YES. I suffer from anxiety myself, and I definitely think it needs to be portrayed better – and more widely – in fiction. It’s a huge deal.

3. Yes please. I would love to read more about super villains!

4. Not odd at all, I would also love this!

7. YESSSSS. Why isn’t it a thing, actually? It has so much potential. *Cries* I love pirates.

7. Alien-Human romances would be extremely interesting! The only book I’ve ever read where the main character falls in love with an alien is “Mothership”, but the alien looks human so it is not perfect. Nice list!
    Check out my TTT list and please follow my blog, Book Savvy: http://booksavvyblog.blogspot.com/

8. #8 happens in The Last Olympian (Rick Riordan) though they don’t get a lot of page time. Also, I can’t remember the name of the book off the top of my head, but it had security gargoyles that looked like statues, but were actually alive. Excellent list!

9. What an interesting and thought-provoking list! The one that resonates the most with me is the first one. I’d very much like to see some books where the MC is dealing with anxiety of some sort. As for pirates, there are pirate romance novels, and a few YA things (the Jacky Faber books come to mind), but I haven’t seen a lot of pirate books outside of those. I wonder why?

10. Doris Elysia says:

Awesome list! AND YESSSS I need #7 to happen asap. Pirates are sexy and they need some book lovin too =)
    Here’s our TTT
    Doris @ OABR

11. I would LOVE some pirate books! I think I read one a couple years ago… Bu I can’t remember the title… Apparently the story wasn’t memorable enough and I need more! as for the rest.. YES TO ALL! You have great taste name twin 😉

12. Oh this was well thought out and such an brilliant list. I would read all of these. In particular 2,3,4 and 10

13. Pamela D says:

I would totally read books about bank robbers!

14. Boy do I have some recs for you Michelle! Aliens/humans romance, you’ll enjoy the Katherine “Kitty” Katt series by Gini Koch. Villians, I’ve heard super good things about Vicious by Victoria Schwab. Statues coming to life, I read something weird on GR about gargoyles and erotica….yes *shudders*

ANYWAY! Yes I wonder why pirates aren’t a thing yet? I would like to read more Japanese YA books, although I didn’t really enjoy Ink by Amanda Sun.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )