Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
So these are the things I wish to see or read about in books! If you know of any books with the topics, plots or character types please let me know so I can add them to my tbr! So listen up authors! Maybe you’ll get some cool ideas for your next writing project, I know of few of these are bouncing around in my head for future NaNos.
- Anxiety – More and more YA books are delving into health issues and I would like to see one that deals with anxiety. It can be any of the six anxiety disorders but I would like to read some focused on generalized, social or OCD.
- Japanese Mythology and Folklore – I know there are some out there but I would like more YA or maybe even Urban Fantasy, since they tend to be more accessible and easier to get into. It would be awesome to see more books out there with accurate social practices, histories or mythologies.
- Criminal Mastermind – So I know there are some serial killer books out there like I Hunt Killers and Dexter, but I want to see a book about a villain. Not just any plain old villain, I’m talking about a super villain. The kind of guys who would fit in well with the Joker and I want them as the main character or at least very involved in the plot.
- Great Depression Bank Robber – This one is a bit odd, but the bank robbers of this era were basically celebrities. People like John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson, and Bonnie and Clyde became household names and triggered huge manhunts. If done right this could make some really fun, thrilling and heartbreaking stories.
- MMO Addiction – Honestly I have no idea why this one popped into my head, but it seems like it could be really interesting to read about. MMO addiction is actually a real thing and it can actually go from laughable to incredibly serious quickly. People land themselves in bankruptcy, forget to eat or move and develop health issues. It would be interesting to see a contemporary YA/NA book that deals with the addiction and the balance of online/offline lives.
- LARPing/RPing – I’m letting my geek show in this list apparently. I want to see some all out geeky characters that participate in RP or LARPing, it can be a side thing or it can be the center of the story.
- Pirates – I’m surprised that this hasn’t been a ‘thing’ yet…seriously…where are all the NA/YA pirate stories? We all know the pirate life was rough, I’d be okay with space pirating….as long as there are ship battles, stealing, and a feeling of freedom. Scurvy is optional.
- Statues Coming to Life – This more like a scene wish…but I really want to see someone make statues come to life. It could be for fighting or some crazy magical scheme, but it just seems really cool.
- Bounty Hunter – I don’t mean modern day bounty hunters, I want something crazy and out there. It could be a fantasy world bounty hunter where they hunt down viscous creatures or it could be set in a sci-fi world where aliens are plentiful. Just don’t make it too Star Wars-y…you might get sued.
- Alien/Human relationships – So you’re either going “That’s weird!” or “That’s been done” so hold on a second and let me explain. I want something fresh so no human looking aliens or aliens that conveniently can change into a human, I want them to look alien. They can still be humanoid of course (2 arms, 2 legs, similar body structures) but they better have something crazy looking like scales or four eyes. As for the relationship part it can be close friendships or romantic. I think it would be cool to explore how a friendship would develop between two people who have entirely different upbringing, physiology, and cultures. As far as the romance, well as long as it doesn’t cross the line into weirdness, I think it could be done. If you’re a gamer, think of Mass Effect and how many people are in love with Tali and Garrus, who are not human, and how it’s not a big deal. If you haven’t played those games, skip the first one and go play! When you meet your romance options come back and tell me if they’re human (I’m willing to bet most of them won’t be).