I wanted to do something different on the blog, something to shake things up a bit. It gets a bit boring with just reviews and a few book features, so since I love reading discussion posts on other blogs I figured I’d make some time to do a few myself and try it out.
So as some of you may already know I have a strange compulsion to finish every book I start. It doesn’t matter if it’s the worse book I’ve ever touched in my life, I finish it. I drag myself through every terrible word and some how convince myself that I’m better for it. Allow me to break it down:
- Infinite Bucket List Goal: I’m one book closer to reading every book in the world.
- Empathy: I know someone out there likes it and I want to see why.
- Foolish Optimism: Sometimes I’m just hoping the next sentence, paragraph, page, or chapter will be better than the last.
- Equal Exchange: I paid for it, I’m finishing. Enough said.
- Giving the Author Their Due: I know that every book I read is someone’s hard work. No book is ‘easy’ to write and I don’t like feeling like I’m throwing someone’s work aside.
So you see, there is a lot going against the grand idea of “DNF“. To me it’s like a far off dream of freedom in a way…I want to be able to put aside a crappy book without feeling guilty, half-finished, or like I’m going to miss out. Yet each time I try I end up grabbing the book again, it may take a few days or years…but I always end up reading the book. It’s almost like I have these tiny invisible chains connecting me to books and they don’t break until that last page is read.
So I’m hunting for my DNF. I know that sounds bad. It sounds like I’m on the lookout for a book to casually toss aside like trash, but that’s not it at all. I’m looking for the moment where I can say to myself, “Michelle it’s okay to put this down and never come back.” I just want it to be an option because I get majorly stressed over review books I don’t enjoy. I know there are plenty of bloggers who don’t finish everything sent to them and I’m alright with that, but it doesn’t sit well with me when I attempt it.
So what is your opinion on not finishing books? I know it sounds silly but any tips or tricks on letting go and moving on? Anyone else feel the same way or am I just as weird as I think I am?