Hosted by Once Upon A Chapter
Well week one is gone and we are 6 chapters into The Sorcerer’s Stone (Philosopher’s Stone). Just reading that first sentence again made me smile, and reminds me that even a book can feel like home.
Onto this week’s discussion questions! If you have not read the novels I do not recommend reading any further as I’m not sure if anything will be spoiled for you.
1. At the beginning of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone Dumbledore makes the decision to leave Harry in the care of his aunt and uncle. We see the results of that decision when Ron and Harry have a run in with Draco on the Hogwart’s Express. Do you agree with Dumbledore’s decision or do you feel Harry should have been brought up among his own people?
Eh Draco is a brat…Anyway! Yes I do believe he made the right decision, I just wish that there had been someone else…anyone else that Harry could have stayed with. It’s really terrible what he had to go through, but at the same time when you grow up with everyone knowing who you are and worship you as if you are some sort of god (even though you had no control what so ever) it gets to you. There is no telling how Harry would have turned out if he grew up knowing magic and the fame…he could have felt immense pressure and hated it or he could have absorbed it all and turned out like a over inflated Draco. He wouldn’t have had privacy. Just imagine if as a 4 or 5 year old you had people just staring at you in awe or trying to shake your hand, fawning over you every minute of the day….I’d become a recluse.
2. Hagrid comes to rescue Harry from the Dursley’s in a shack on a rock. If you were Harry would you have left with Hagrid?
Yes…without any doubt, I would. I understand that running off with a giant wild looking guy is a bad idea in normal circumstances but Harry’s were anything but normal. Any one would be wary of a man telling you that you’re magical and you should come with him, but all the needed proof that it was true was given. It would have taken an extremely large sum of money to get me to say no…and by large sum I mean I’d be able to buy an entire country if I should chose.
3. Harry has a lot of info to digest all at once. He finds out he’s a wizard, there’s a whole magical community, his parents were in fact murdered, and the same wizard that killed his parents attempted to kill him as well. How would you have reacted to all of this?
Well, I’m honestly not sure. It’s a lot to take in really. There would be excitement and nervousness because of the magical thing, I mean what kid didn’t want to be able to have a bit of amazing power like that? (I can’t be the only one who pretended automatic doors opened because I willed them to). Then at the same time there would be grief, shock, and anger…he doesn’t remember his parents’ deaths and I’m sure he learned to live with somewhat, and now that wound is being opened up again and it’s going to take a different method to fully heal it. So what do I do in emotional overloads? I go blank and process things as logically as possible…the breakdown would come later.
4. Hogwarts students are allowed an owl, a cat, or a toad. What animal would you choose and why?
Well an owl would be the logical choice really…it’s practical for letters (and I won’t have to waltz to the Owlry constantly) and they are gorgeous creatures. I think it would be really neat to have a relationship with an animal that isn’t considered a pet by any means.
5. For the first time in his life, Harry has money and the chance to spend it however he wants. What would you have purchased at Diagon Alley?
Oh goodness! What wouldn’t I have bought? I’d make sure to buy nice things as well…because it’s rather obvious that the Dursely’s don’t really believe in giving Harry more than what they have to give him. I’d buy loads of books on a ton of subjects, quills, journals, candies, cool capes…I’m almost positive Hagrid would have to drag me out of Diagon before I squandered the fortune.
Well that’s all the questions for this week! I’m super excited to see everyone’ answers and ready to read the next 6 chapters!